Friday, March 15, 2013

Adventures in the kitchen #1 : Carrot Cake (eggless!!)


Two weeks of relax and the up coming birthday of one of my friends (and probably one episode of The Great British Bake Off too many) seemed the best excuses to finally set free my not-so-hidden baking-lover side.

Knowing me, and my love for cakes, or biscuits, or anything sweet and baked in fact, this post won't come unexpected.

I like cooking, but most of all, I love experimenting new stuff when I'm in the kitchen. I know that, expecially in 'patisserie', creativity in terms of experimentation, is pretty much comparable to blasfemy, but this time, it took to interesting results, luckily.

The recipe is adapted from the one I found at Made Just Right, which is full of delicious vegan recipes. I freely changed a bit the ingredients. As I'm not vegan (but vegeterian), I used vegetable butter, but everyday butter or vegan margarinewill do the trick anyway.


Apron on, on your marks, get set, BAKE! (I'm obsessed ok)



You will need:
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom 
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup Butter
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon of honey
1/2 cup applesauce
1/2 teaspoon finely minced ginger
1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
1/4 cup water
1 cup shredded carrots (about 2-3 medium carrots)

I used, due to my obsession for coconut, a bit of coconut flakes. It was a delicious touch :)


1. Preheat the oven at 350ยบ . Mix together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, cardamom, and salt in a bowl and set aside.


 2. In another bowl, beat together the Earth Balance Buttery Coconut Spread and the brown sugar for 1-2 minutes.


 3. Add in the applesauce, ginger, orange juice, and water and mix thoroughly. (My orange was really really red......)


4. Slowly mix in the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.


5. Fold in the carrots, and put the batter into a round pans. Bake at 350 (200°C) for 35-45 minutes. Be careful, and control periodically your cake, as mine, took only 25 minutes to bake. In any case, check with a toothpick, if dry, then your cake is ready to be taken out!
 Leave it to cool before taking it out from the pan.

Meanwhile, put the kettle on. With a cup of milky tea, it's even better.

Lucia
xxx

5 comments:

  1. I love carrot cake, and this recipe looks really good, I am vegetarian too :) xx

    http://cositsthebeesknees.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious!
    xx
    http://creepers-and-cats.blogspot.pt/

    ReplyDelete
  3. love your blog
    followed xoxo
    www.thekaybook.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will have to try this :) x


    www.ofbeautyandnothingness.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving your lovely comment ♥